Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Why This Blog?

Yes, it is the first day of a new year - January 2013.  And yes, I am going on a diet.  It's not because it's part of a new year's resolution.  It's much more than that.  I need to change my life for a variety of reasons.  I need to lose weight because:

  • my husband died a few months ago and because of that stress and strain, I've not been sleeping well and I've not been eating well.  Food has been a kind of eat when I wanted to, with no schedule or routine.  And, my method of eating has changed.  I haven't been eating my fresh fruits and veggies.  I haven't been eating healthy at all.  Too many pizzas, too much fast food, too many chips, too much processed foods and the list goes on and on.  It's just been hard to prepare food for just me.  I need to eat better.
  • I have a knee problem and am starting to experience problems with the other knee and my back.  Almost a year ago, I suffered a severe knee bone bruise when I stepped into a snow-covered hole and twisted my knee.  I have no health insurance and no way to get any and am quite aware that the problem is getting worse each day.  I figure I can't go wrong by trying to lose some weight, thereby taking some pressure off my knees.  I've found that I've had to cut out activities I would like to do simply because I can't stand or walk for long periods of time.  I want to be more active!
  • I simply want to feel better.  I want to look better.  I want to give myself some much needed self confidence.
So, taking all this into consideration, I decided to go on a diet or a series of them.  For several weeks, I've been doing some mental preparation to do this as well as search out a "diet" to begin with.  After much contemplation, I decided I am going to go on "The Digest Diet".  I heard about it on Good Morning America and investigated.  After all, Reader's Digest is a well respected organization.  I ordered the diet book and read it.  I planned my shopping lists.  I planned my scheduled foods.  I have psyched myself up!  I am ready!

I decided to blog all of this.  I will make me accountable.  I will have a place to keep track of my weight, write comments about my daily consumption, etc.  I am not sharing this with my family because hopefully I will be able to surprise them by showing improvement.

Oh, the name of the blog "Twenty One Days Of Diet" reflects the number of days that "The Digest Diet" lasts.  I have convinced myself that I can do this - it's only three weeks.  If I have any cravings, I'll just save them for sometime AFTER the 21 days have transpired.  I can do this! 

And finally, how much would I like to lose?  100 lbs. would be nice, but for now I just want to get down to 200 lbs. however long it takes.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment